THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CARDS IN CANADA | ANNOUNCEMENTS, INVITATIONS, HOLIDAY CARDS AND MORE
The Basics - what size of photos should you submit?
Using Professional Photos
Professional photos may be used with our designs. Please ensure you have the rights to use the photos, including a release or permission from the photographer who took them, and also that you are using the high resolution versions (low resolution proofs or low resolution files for email or web-sharing will print very poorly). We reserve the right to request that a copy of a written photographer's release be sent to us, or to contact your photographer directly if necessary.
Tips for taking Great Photos
1. Good lighting is key to taking great photos! Natural lighting is the best. When taking photos outdoors, try to take them early in the mornings or in the evening before the sun sets. When photographing indoors, try to do so in a room that has as much natural lighting as possible, and if necessary, use additional overhead lighting and lamps to brighten an area.
2. Keep the background as simple as possible. Too much clutter can be distracting and take away from the subject(s) of the photo. If necessary, use a sheet or blanket as a backdrop.
3. Get close, but not too close! Particularly when photographing babies, close-up shots of baby’s face, hands, feet, etc. are adorable and look great on a birth announcement. When taking close-ups, it is important to get close, but not too close, for two reasons: (i) the photos can come out blurry if you are too close, and (ii) you want to leave some room for us to crop your photo to fit perfectly into your chosen design! So stand back just enough to get a good close-up shot, while still leaving some room for us to work with cropping your photo just right.
4. If you have a particular design style in mind prior to taking your photos, consider the orientation of the photos in the layout (particularly the “main” photo). Some designs work better with a vertical main photo, and others with a horizontal main photo. You don’t have to frame or orient your photo perfectly. Our online preview tool allows you the flexibility to zoom, crop and move a photo around until it fits the design perfectly.
5. When photographing your baby and/or toddler, ensure your child is fed, rested, and happy. There is no point embarking on a photo shoot if your baby isn't in the mood. Choose a time when you can guarantee some smiles (for babies, morning is often the best), and have fun!
6. Take lots of photos! The beauty of digital cameras is that you can take lots and lots of photos and simply delete the ones that don't turn out - so take as many photos as possible and you'll be much more likely to get that perfect shot!
7. Remember - when you order from Little Star Greetings, a professional design reviews each and every order, and if needed we will edit/enhance your photos to optimize printing results! You don’t have to take perfect, professional photos to make a great photo announcement, invitation, thank you card, or holiday card, but following these tips will help your product to look as beautiful as possible.